Online Help for Puzzle Solvers
When you're stuck with a puzzle, these sites will help you find the answers.
- Alphametic Puzzle Solver
- A web-based alphametic puzzle solver by Truman Collins. This will only solve addition puzzles, although any number of summands may be used.
- Anagram Genius Server
- Anagram solver - using Anagram Genius software. Enter the name, word or phrase for which you want an anagram, and the results will be sent to you be e-mail.
- Andy's Anagram Solver
- A very useful tool for solving anagram puzzles. Simply enter the letters and it immediately generates a list of words or phrases using those letters. With options for French and Dutch, as well as English.
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online
- Look up words in the Cambridge International Dictionary of English, Cambridge Dictionary of American English, Cambridge International Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs or Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms.
- Dictionary Search
- Online help for those awkward crossword clues. Type in the letters you have, with wildcards indicating the missing letters (e.g. ?b?l?n?) and see the possible solutions.
- Internet Movie Database
- A wonderful site crammed with information about films and TV series. It has an excellent search facility, and it's a great site if you just want to browse.
- Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary and Thesaurus
- An excellent up-to-date standard dictionary and thesaurus that you can search online for all those puzzle answers.
- One Across
- One Across provides an excellent online crossword clue search. The system accepts crossword clues and answer patterns, e.g. (Serpent [?a?t?????k?]) and quickly returns a scored list of suggestions ("gartersnake", "rattlesnake"). It can help on ambiguous clues (Greenish blue [????]: "teal", "aqua", "cyan", "nile") as well as highly specific ones (Designer Schiaparelli [????]: "elsa"). Additional features of this website include help with anagrams and cryptograms.
- Word Lists for Crosswords
- Here you will find many categorised word lists designed to help you solve crossword clues - e.g. Artists, Nautical Terms, Islands, Musical Instruments, etc. etc. Each list has been split into word-length order (3 to 15 letters) before being sorted alphabetically.